Monday, July 24, 2006

New site for "political ramblings"...

Not long ago a fellow sailor emailed me and asked to be removed from my mailing list because my "political ramblings completely turned [him] off." I had sent him a link to this blog because I'd just posted a bunch of pictures about a cruise-out by our yacht club. I was pretty surprised, since I assumed one could read my political ramblings and disagree (a perfectly fine thing to do) or, if they knew my views are on the left, simply not read them at all.

Then I got a second email, this too from a fellow sailor, and one I know and respect a lot. A friend, indeed! And he similarly wrote that he didn't want "to be subject to [my] constant liberal views." (I assume he meant liberal "political" views, since all my views are pretty liberal.)

I don't know, maybe political conservatives are feeling a bit on the defensive these days. I felt that way in the late 1990s, when the word "liberal" was slandered regularly by the political right. In any case, I like my conservative friends and acquaintances and respect their political views.

And, since I really don't want to cause them distress when accessing my take on sailing experiences we or our club have shared (after all, which is more important, sailing or politics?), I've decided to open a new blog page on which, when I feel the need, I will post whatever "political ramblings" I feel inspired to post, and my conservative friends and acquaintances will be shielded from the whatever incendiary effect they may have.

The link for Political Ramblings is listed on the left of this page with links to other sites I keep up.

Fair winds and smooth sailing...

3 Comments:

Blogger Zen said...

Hmmm, I thought the part in title "otherwise ruminates about all matter of things." meant anything could be said. Or was just my Liberal minded interpretation.

That is a fair liberal compromise to setup a new webpage. Of course that is the nature of Liberals to find some kind of harmonious balance...

4:54 PM  
Blogger james and penelope said...

Not only that, Zen, but I am doubly endowed with the balance scales since I am a Libra. ... and, I'm still ruminating about whether I should be so damned liberal or not.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tillerman said...

I understand completely. Of course it's your blog and you can do what you like but there's one other sailing blog I read that occasionally interjects political views. It's strange, I find it jarring, even though I usually agree with him.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home