Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Time for contemplation...

Sailor Pete Goss once said: “Life hangs on a very thin thread and the cancer of time is complacency. If you are going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow will be too late.” I’m grateful to Tom Watkins, Four Guys in a Boat (2004), for Goss’s insight. And, even though it is somewhat obvious, I find myself drawn to the meter of his words whenever there is a lull in my life.

God knows, there haven’t been many lulls lately – a trip to China, a sailboat race in southern California and next week a cruise to Catalina with old friends. This along with cruise-outs on San Francisco Bay (still two to go), taking dear friends from New York out on the Bay plus a regatta last weekend ought to be sufficient to keep our adrenaline pumping.

One would think.

But, perhaps because in a few weeks, summer folds into another fall teaching term, and both my sweetie and I head back to work (although for me it’s only part-time for three months), it seems like we're drifting into a lull. So, what thing to jump up for to keep the adventure going? Could we possibly pack in more stuff?

Well, whether the lull creeping up on us is psychological or not, we just arranged to fly off to Kauai for an upcoming week, and I just picked up a new Thursday night jazz piano gig at Ragusa in Los Altos. Now I wonder if I’ll have time to contemplate much of anything?

Perhaps on the plane trip to Hawaii....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home