Thursday, January 22, 2009

I suppose I should have known...

When I bought Alizee and decided to berth her in Oriental, NC, I based it on hurricane zones and insurance considerations along with the fact that the Pamlico Sound is a haven for sailing craft.  I remember now, somewhat sheeplishly, that I actually looked into having someone detail Alizee for me on my return in late December or early January.  I suppose my being a born and bred California boy explains my naiveity, but now as I look at photos of Oriental taken only yesterday, I'm wondering: "what was I thinking?"
On Wednesday, about an inch or two of snow covered Oriental and the boats in the harbor.  The weather has been cold ... bitterly cold to this Californian who presently thinks it's cold as hell in central Florida (a hard freeze the past two nights).  But the sun is out today in Oriental and the prediction is that much of the snow will melt, although it will continue to be cold for a while, highs in the 40s, lows in the low 30s.
I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little concerned about how Alizee is taking the cold weather.  My friend Karl checked on her a week or so ago and said she looked fine, and I've got an electronics fellow looking at her about now to figure where to install an AIS unit on her, but ... well, one worries a bit.
Penelope and I are driving up the end of next week.  One hopes that the weather turns and starts to warm by the first week of February, when we'll arrive.  I'll be living on her for February, getting her ready to cross to the Bahamas on March 1st.  Ah, the folly of the sailor's life.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home